- Subject + Predicate: Traffic is a major cause of pollution.
- Subject + Verb: Tom yawned.
- Subject + Verb + Object: Tom opened the door.
- Subject + Verb + Complement: Tom is ready.
- Subject + Verb + Adverbial: Tom lives in China.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Object: Tom gave me a pen.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Complement: Tom got a shoe wet.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Adverbial: Tom put the box on the table.
- Main clause + Subordinate clause: Hong Kong's air pollution has become worse since industry expanded in the Pearl River Delta.
- Simple Present
- e.g. The sun rises in the east.
- Present Continuous
- e.g. At this moment Tom is watching a movie.
- Simple Past
- e.g. Tom visited Macau last night.
- Past Continuous
- e.g. During the spring of 2003 Tom was travelling in China.