- Subject + Predicate: e.g. Traffic is a major cause of pollution.
- Subject + Verb: e.g. Tom yawned.
- Subject + Verb + Object: e.g. Tom opened the door.
- Subject + Verb + Complement: e.g. Tom is ready.
- Subject + Verb + Adverbial: e.g. Tom lives in China.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Object: e.g. Tom gave me a pen.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Complement: e.g. Tom got a shoe wet.
- Subject + Verb + Object + Adverbial: e.g. Tom put the box on the table.
- Main clause + Subordinate clause: e.g. Hong Kong's air pollution has become worse since industry expanded in the Pearl River Delta.
- Simple Present: e.g. The sun rises in the east.
- Present Continuous: e.g. At this moment Tom is watching a movie.
- Simple Past: e.g. Tom visited Macau last night.
- Past Continuous: e.g. During the spring of 2003 Tom was travelling in China.
- Present Perfect: e.g. I have passed the exam.
- Present Perfect Continuous: e.g. Mary has been studying for her exam.
- Past Perfect: e.g. Susan had left when I arrived.
- Past Perfect Continuous: e.g. Tom had been watching TV before his brother returned home.